Installing the Backdated Prolific PL-2303 Driver 22.214.171.124
System Requirements 32/64 bit Windows Vista / 7 / 8 / 10
1) Create a work folder (New Folder) on your PC.
2) Download the Prolific 126.96.36.199 driver file and save it to the work folder.
3) Remove the USB programming cable from your PC.
4) Double-click the file that was saved into the work folder and follow the prompts until it is completely installed.
5) Plug the USB programming cable into the USB port of your PC.
You should see a balloon popup that says "Installing device driver software"
A few seconds later you will get a balloon popup that says
"Device driver software was not successfully installed"
6) Launch Device Manager.
[ Start | Right-click Computer | Properties | Device Manager ]
You will see one of the following errors in Device Manager.
In 'Other Devices' the 'USB-Serial Controller' is proceeded by a YELLOW warning.
In 'Ports (COM & LPT)' the 'Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm Port (COMx)' will appear.
7) Right-click on the entry with the error to open a window and select
"Update driver software..."
8) At the first Update Driver Software prompt, select
"Browse my computer for driver software".
9) At the second Update Driver Software prompt, select
"Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer"
10) At the third Update Driver Software prompt, scroll down and select
"Ports (COM & LPT)".
11) At the fourth Update Driver Software prompt, select
"Prolific USB-to-Serial Comm Port Version: 188.8.131.52 [7/31/2007]".
You should get a prompt saying that the driver was installed successfully.
You should now see a properly installed Prolific driver in Device Manger.
You can check that the correct version is installed by double-clicking on the Prolific entry in device manager and selecting the Driver tab.
The driver version shown should be v184.108.40.206
12) Remove the USB programming cable from your PC and then plug the USB programming cable back in.
13) (Optional) Reboot your computer.